Thursday, June 18, 2020

My Cave and Tools


I believe every car nut would love to have their own version of dream garage. We don’t need anything fancy but just enough space and atmosphere to have our own form of escapism during the weekends. And this is the story about my cave and tools. 

Ever since I relocated to my new apartment, I was lucky enough to get hold on additional parking bays that fit the most checkboxes that I have in mind. Nicely enclaved, generous space, far enough for much needed privacy and next to a garden with flat surface that I could launch and land a drone. A total of 2+2+1 parking bays occupied by a unit that still yet to have a sofa for guests to sit. 

 
I’m not by any stretch a handyperson. But when you go to occasional track days and sunday drives, it is hard to keep going to workshops or tyre shops for simple fixes. So naturally whatever I could do, I would do it at home within my spare time. It just makes better sense both for convenience and plain jane economics.


This is also an excuse I keep using to my better half to collect a bunch of tools that help me going through this unexpected and somewhat an embarrassing hobby. One that keep my friends rolling on the floor laughing: changing tyres. That is going to be separate story I plan to write in the days to come. But for now, let me run through the whole list of tools that I stashed in between the parking bays. They are not complete but enough to do some simple stuffs along the way. Treat it like a knowledge sharing from a newbie to another. It might help you in your quest to identify what is worth buying and what is not. 

1. Screw Drivers, Spanners & Allen Keys
I’m a growing fan of SB Tools. They offer industry-standard tools at reasonable price. You can buy per-item or as a set with variety level of completeness. I would recommend a set of screw drivers for RM60, heavy duty allen keys for RM60 and spanner set (8-24mm) for RM110. You also would need a pack of cable ties and disposable gloves which you can buy cheaply at Mr DIY.


2. Tyre Pressure Gauge
Never leave home without one and buy the best that you can afford. I would recommend for you to go for 0-60psi gauge where the centre would be between 30-35psi. This is because centre readings will be the most accurate. In my case, I bought this Longacre tyre gauge for USD25 back in 2015 and still working like a charm now. If you want to be even more associated with high end motorsport, you can consider Intercomp but at double the price.


3. Breaker Bar
A must and greatly assist in removing wheel lug nuts, better than air gun (especially with aftermarket lug nuts). I would recommend 1/2" socket and 24” length to give you about 500nm of strength. You can get it for RM70 in SB Tools or online store. In addition, you would need 3 types of socket: 17mm (5H wheels), 19mm (4H wheels) and 21mm (4H wheels like Perodua Axia). They are RM15 each.


4. Torque Wrench
Highly recommended if you intend to regularly swap and rotate tyres. Go for good brands like SATA or Toptul 1/2" 0-200nm rated as they offer decent accuracy but within good price bracket. They should be between RM350-RM400 in online stores. You might also need an extension bar RM15. Speaking of which, the wheel torque spec highly depends on the lug nuts itself. In most cases, they are between 110-130nm.


5. Floor Jack
I have all types: scissor jack (JDM and continental), mini floor jack and full-size floor jack. All of them have their strengths depending on mobility factor. The mini floor jack, which you can buy for RM80 in supermarket is in my view has the best of both worlds, but they don’t last long. Full size floor jack is the most effective as it requires less stroke to lift vehicle up but would be absolute back breaker if you want to bring it to track days. But you know, they are quite affordable now at RM350-RM400 range for dual-pump ones. Should you have loads to spare, I would recommend full aluminum which offers approximate 50% lighter but at almost triple the price.


6. Jack Stands
Never put the trust solely on floor jack to hold the weight of the car, especially you intend to work underneath it. Get jack stands and they are not expensive at less than RM50 for a pair.


7. Jerry Cans
Not necessary for many but essential for me as my Satria Neo loves to drink in track days. There are many sizes to choose: 5, 10 and 20 liters. I’m using jerry cans made by Scepter both 20 liters size and one of them was made in 1990 and still sturdy till today. Hardly surprising since Scepter is a brand famously associated as king of containers that manufactures products for civilian, marine, and military use.


8. Cordless Impact Wrench
This is for sure an overkill but the gap between need and want can get very blurry especially when you’re so used to buy using plastics. Milwaukee is the industrial standard for cordless gun. You have the option of either M12 Stubby (up to 338nm) or M18 (up to 813nm for mid torque version). M12 Stubby is obviously the lighter one and cheaper at RM1.4K, while M18 at RM2K. For normal tyre change, I would say M12 Stubby is good enough but struggle to open lug nuts above 130nm especially with extension.



9. Mobile Air Inflator
Comes together as a kit with M12 Stubby (separately around RM450). Strangely I feel this is worth buying than the impact wrench. The practice of driving to petrol station for brimming the tyres with air and then trim it the next morning, is a thing of a past when you’re using this. Word of caution, they’re quite loud.


10. Tyre Repair Kit
Tyre punctures are a definite possibility. You can be the most vigilant driver around but your tyres may still being hit with nail, screw or stick in the tread or sidewall. It would be a good idea for you to have good tyre repair kit. The one below, again from SB Tools around RM70.


11. Battery Jumper Cables
Battery jumper set are one of the many items that you should never ever buy the cheapest one. You usually use it at the most inappropriate times. Do go for thicker cables as they are capable of transmitting more electric current. Don't buy like the ones below.


12. OBD2 Scanner
I’m using Lemur BlueDriver OBD2 wireless scanner, a convenient tool to perform basic read and clear diagnostic trouble codes and real-time data logging of engine parameters. This is among the better ones in the market today. Works with iOS and Android. USD100 from eBay.

  

13. Ideal Transporter
I will never be able to get all of these into my Satria Neo CS for track days. This is where majority of the time, I would get either my wife or brother to drive my Golf R along just to bring all of these stuffs including a pair of spare tyres. It has enough space, power, and traction to do the job :P

No comments:

Post a Comment