Sunday, October 4, 2009

Shiok sendiri drive

Saturday, 3rd October. Woke up slightly late and waited for the rain to ease off a bit then only warm up the Pocong for a shiok sendiri drive which has been overdue for quite sometime. And while it was still raining, I dropped by at AVS Auto to collect Azdilizan’s breather valve which its price has gone up slightly to RM85.

Just passed 11.30am, the rain has been sober a bit and decided it’s a good time to kick off the drive. Before that, STP octane booster has been poured in to the tank which itself was already brimmed with Techron 97. Delightfully to report, it gives better response but I prefer AfterBurn more :)

The route I opted was Jalan Gombak (route 68), Genting Sempah, uphill roads of Genting Highlands halfway then onto B66 route downhill towards Batang Kali where 1 schedule stop for break at in-law’s place before proceed back home through long weeping road of Ulu Yam (route B23).

I was taking the car easy along the Jalan Gombak at least until passing the JHEOA hospital not to piss off everybody’s morning. In a way, it’s a good thing that the surface was still wet means I’d be able to know how the RSR behaves in these conditions. This stretch of road comprises mainly narrow and tight left-right sequence of corners where normally spookily serene. Not surprising, I felt the car was a little bit slippery but much more predictable on how it losses grip than Contis and F1 GSD. Steering feel is now much tighter and backed by strong turn-in and mid-corner grip just feel so endlessly good. I’m still acclimatizing myself to get used to this sort of performance. And God the RSR makes the Pocong nippy through the bends!

Reached the Genting Sempah roundabout and heading up kicking off the 2nd leg journey with mainly uphill 2 lane roads. I’ve to say though, these tyres in a way draining the energy of the car as though the tyres surface was full of chewing gum (I was about to say sticking to the tarmac. Before this, I did say 178hp is enough, now nope I need 200hp to get the car in psychopath mode again. Still the midrange doesn’t disappoint where I was mostly on 3rd & 4th to keep the K03s turbo on song.

Reached the Goh Tong Jaya roundabout, I exited the uncle Lim’s and took route B66 and began to descend towards Batang Kali but this time comprises of lots of fast sweeping corners. By then, the surface began to dry (well almost anyway). The RSR started to show its true pace. It just grip, grip and grip everywhere and such persistence attitude the Pocong has now, only at times I was the one who chicken out as it roll towards ditch while the RSR stays permanently planted to the tarmac. As I was nudging 180 at some points, I began to noticed that additional stuff like braided hose and if budget persist, better pads are needed because the brakes was not at optimum. Not to say it has faded a lot though, just not strong enough to shave speed while you’re having the G and descending. Upon reaching the t-junction, I headed off to in-law’s place for a short break and that allows me & wifey some time to tease two hyperactive cats hehehe

While having a break, a quick look at the four tyres shows minimal or zilch wear on the sidewalls but the car’s backside shows plenty of dirt and front rims was blacken by dust!

Just passed 5pm, I continued final part of this SS drive towards home via Ulu Yam. I wouldn’t say it’s my home course or anything resembling the matter but a familiar territory is more like it. It has much more high sweeping corners and less vertical differences compared to the earlier route B66. I’d say on this route, RSR easily able to handle 10-20kmh faster at any corners than Conti easily. There’s so much assurance through the feel, turn-in and mid-corner grip, and it does that in serenely spookingly quiet. And when it let go, hell will break loose without warning.

I know I’ve been blabbering for quite sometime now and I’m going to say it again, RSR is such a bang-for-buck mod when it comes to feel, grip and handling. Though it’s marginally more expensive than other UHP tyres but if you look at the prices of AD08 which is nudging RM580 a pop, this is the one to go.

And for the Pocong, as I’m happy with the grip it has now, there’s some more works to do to enhance the steering feel as you know when it comes to handling, the steering feel will either makes it or breaks it. This I quote from Djan’s comment in CBT article. And once getting the bushes done, I’m expecting to be happy for a while.


The route

I wonder what EJ going to say about this

The kecik was being so restless

Looks cute but notoriously hyperactively naughty

No signs of tiredness but obviously dirty

Quest for ideal handling & grip is half way there!

9 comments:

  1. i almost bought a polo gti last year but i was ended up with major oppositions from the family. jumping from a malaysian gti to a german gti is downright lucky for you. i test drove the car while at the curve. its a nice little car with all the safety features packed in it. however, parents were a bit vary with the brand name in malaysia, though globally its a great car. just like mazda, they are underappreciated here, weird.

    but anyways, i was driving the family's w202 for a while, before i decided to get a small, high revving, FR. maybe i'm too chicken to race in larger displacements and go gun down the smaller ones, haha. but yes, great job on ur gti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kev,

    I almost went for DC5 ITR but fated to buy this Polo. Just like me, it's already fated and also lucky of you to get hold of rare species Honda S600. Power is never enough at the end of the day, it's how we make use of it. I wish best of luck in your quest and maybe you can plonk in F20C into it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. good writeup!! next u must see how much diff it makes on the track! I am going to try the R888, i know its hopeless in wet, but I dont drive the car when it rains anyway! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mugil,

    Let me know when are you going to SIC because I may tag along. Want to have a joy ride in your Super Putra :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. dc5 itr is not bad, but trying turbo charged is definitely a different feeling, lol. with a monster torque, highways drives can be insane and fun.

    but yeah, haha, wont plonk a f20c, lol! weight distribution would probably mess up and a real s2k can really smoke me in open category then! lol

    but yes, going for under 1000cc is what i aim for, especially for the tight tracks like kg gajah, hehe. but yeah, we're all power crazy, at times i wished i had a faster car, but i guess i cant be greedy and own both! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. As usual la Kev, all of us are power hungry hehehe but then la kan I had experience too much power with 1k+ hp Nissan GTR Concept in GT4. Simulating it in Nordschleife feels too much LOL

    I wish I can copy the replay vids from PS2 to video files

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahaha, 1k hp, lol. seriously i dont think we as normal human beings have the balls to take it in real life, 1000hp is still very scary to me. i wonder what happens if they made the bugatti veyron in the upcoming gt5. man that would be sweet, quad turbos! lol.

    but yeah, you could play the replay vids and capture it using a tv tuner card and save as a video file (.avi) then upload to youtube, works that way lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. firdaus,

    yes, will let u know. I cant wait to feel how it is going to be myself.

    I have been to the UK Time Attack in Silverstone a couple of months ago, where Roger Clark Motorsport participate in their 850hp Imprezza. Boy does it goes, its fully sorted with custom suspension. No body rolls and turn 1 in silverstone taking it at well over 120mph and 4 wheel drift. Power can be controlled, its all how much you want to spend! A lot of cars there, including skyline and evo are pushing over 7-800 bhp mark with good results especially for circuit use.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mugil,

    850bhp and workable on the track?? I tabik spring bro :)
    That goes to show we're still lagging behind them...I'm waiting for your SP to finish recuperating hehehe

    ReplyDelete