Sunday, August 2, 2009

C99 Track Day 2009

A tiring day for a blasting day, that’s for sure. As you may have read in the previous posting that C99 organised C99 track day yesterday and I’ve been invited to tag along together with fellow Polo GTI driver, Azdilizan.

Fetched my friend at 0615 and drive through GCE towards NSE, had early breakfast while waiting for him. But unexpectedly he was late. Supposed we’ve to meet at the R&R Bukit Beruntung but it turns out that R&R Bukit Beruntung is actually R&R Rawang which I’ve just passed. Realising this, I’ve called Addy to catch up with me as I pottle along at 80km/h. It was not until 20 minutes that we finally met at Hentian Tanjung Malim and waited another 10 more minutes more for Joe (if not mistaken). It was already 0730, and it’s LATE! We had to drive FAST on the NSE as well as trunk road and spotted ‘The Artist’ driving his CW Polo GTI going towards north. At last, we reached there at 0915 but that’s before we got lost in locating the track.

Registration was fairly simple. For an event run by non event company, I’d say fairly organised with scrutineering checks on all cars by Izan, a techie guy whom I knew when I was in Satria GTi club. Briefings were adequate just that like me I didn’t ticked the “Drag” chequebox in the submission form but still kena to be in it :O

350m drag strip has been set. First sparring partner is Addy, I’ve got to a shitty start where power suddenly was being paused for a moment and that moment allows him to have a car length distance. Not willing to give up, I just proceed with nailing 1st, 2nd and 3rd allowing just enough to pass him. Then I was told to wait for Addy to have a crack at Satria GSR modded, and unexpectedly lost. And then, it’s my turn. Screwed up the launch again and was only able to close the gap on 3rd. The Satria driver launching memang kelas! And Toyo R888 also helps la. And since I’m a loser in this category, it’s me and Addy again and I still win hahahaha. And that, I finally know why the power was paused for few secs, it’s the ESP, should have turned it OFF!

Come to time attack, Addy seem to have a good outing with RSR, managed to tuck onto the lines layered by the previous trackers. Nothing can be said the same to me though. First of, as much as I like Conti CSC2 on long sweeping corners, it’s just too wallowy and soft making it harder for me to tuck onto the corner and throttle pedal works are basically useless on turn 2,3,4,5. And it turns out I was 9 sec off the pace with him (and he’s the fastest). At this moment, I’m thinking of most formula 1 drivers excuses like Barrichello would use when things doesn’t sing well. Although I wasn’t pushing (need to safeguard the tyres for few more months L) but still 9 sec off is a lot down to my inability to steer the Pocong properly on that course. And I’d say RSR brings about 5 secs per lap better than Conti.

Just after lunch break, a Ver 8 WRX STi owner wants to have a crack at me for 350m. I thought t would definitely lose out with its AWD capability but what the hell, I could at least see how much difference between his Ver 8 V-Limited and my Pocong as long as he didn’t use the LC. Maintained at 2.5k rpm upon launching, nailed 1st, I was leading, 2nd I was still leading and 3rd I won by a car length I think. Before I looked smug on this, the reason is down to the driver, it’s his first time letting the car loose on the strip (claimed), given proper set of hands/foot, definitely I should be an easy meat.

At 1600, Addy and me headed back to Klang Valley with very much sweet memories of today’s event. So much things to learn and so much things to do and so much things I want to get! What ever it is, C99 Track Day 2009 organisers have done splendid job and I’d like to thank you guys for your invitation. Can we plan for endurance karting? Addy, I want a repeat, one more time :)


We were LATE!

Some camera whoring junkie

Custom air box

Pocong bearing T1 competition no

King Bae giving his speach

Izan giving his speach, notice the shoe, it's Satria GTI race gear!

Why their mouth being covered? H1N1 test ka?

4G93 queuing for drag

The car who petik me

After our game, he's up with the white Wira.

The Satria GSR-ed on the left is heavily moded on Toyo R888 somemore

But the owner claimed he only use cam pulleys, I don't buy it, sorry. TD05 and cams definitely in and block I suspect bored/stroked to 2ltr!

Putra from Alor Setar

Engine rebuild and mods was done DIY

Custom manifold!

Addy on Pole during CCT

Bucks and gf smiling before heading for CCT

What a day this has been for the Pocong


6 comments:

  1. "...Just after lunch break, a Ver 8 WRX STi owner wants to have a crack at me for 350m. I though I would definitely lose out with its AWD capability but what the hell, I could at least see how much difference between his Ver 8 V-Limited and my Pocong as long as he didn’t use the DCCD...."

    kudos... good machine is nothing without good pilot hehehehe...

    -buck-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buck,

    Si mamat tu petik Penyu pastu dia pass pada aku pulak. Lepas 4 kali kena tapau, mamat tu terus balik.

    ReplyDelete
  3. tadi aku lepak dgn baie, rupanya baie ckp budak tu baru main kereta.. so kurang pengalaman sikit la... tapi baie ckp budak tu ok, tak sombong... lagipun bagus jugak ada impreza... event ni pun nampak menarik sikit...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, mamat tu ok takde lah tak puas hati ker apa, bagi aku kalau dia launch at 6k rpm confirm kena tapau 1-2 tiang. Powerwise, stock STi ngan chipped Polo tak de banyak beza

    ReplyDelete
  5. a good event for the Pocong then!!! U need the Yoko AD08 for the track events!! CSC2 good for performance road driving, but will struggle in the track like you have found out!
    Keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Mugil. I'm definitely going to change the tyres, AD08 will be officially here by this November. Hoping current Contis will last until then...

    ReplyDelete